Raspberry & Toasted Pistachio Semi-freddo
The creamy and custard-like semi-freddo is served with Coconut with Raspberry swirl Gelati balls, fresh raspberries, crushed pistachios and toasted organic coconut flakes seasoned with sea salt.
Recipe Credit to Giovanne Cirillo @my_food_is_my_passion
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cup of thickened cream, whipped
- 1/3 cup of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract
- 2/3 cup of toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 250g frozen raspberries
- 90g of fresh raspberries to garnish
- 2 tablespoons of crushed pistachios
- 1 heaped tablespoon of toasted salted organic coconut flakes. Extra to serve if desired
- 8 small round scoops of Gelista Coconut with Raspberry Swirl Vegan Gelati
- Grease a 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm loaf tin. Line tin with baking paper, allowing at least 5cm overhang on all sides of tin.
2. Toast pistachios in a dry pan over low heat until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
3. Place frozen raspberries in a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
4. Place eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heat proof bowl. Stand bowl over a saucepan with simmering water over low heat. Please ensure you do not allow the simmering water to touch bowl.
5. Whisk for 5 minutes until the egg mixture becomes thick and creamy.
6. Pour cream into a bowl of an electric mixer.
7. Remove the egg mixture from saucepan and continue to whisk for a further 5 mins to allow mixture to cool.
8. While you are whisking egg mixture to allow it to cool, whisk cream in the bowl of an electric mixer until it has thickened.
9. Roughly chop the toasted pistachios.
10. Gently fold in thickened cream, chopped pistachios and frozen raspberries into the egg mixture.
11. Pour mixture into the prepared tin, flatten the mixture on top, place a sheet of baking paper on top and wrap the semi-freddo with cling wrap. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
12. To serve, scoop 8 small balls of Gelati and place back into the freezer. Remove semi-freddo from freezer and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Once it has slightly softened, remove the semi-freddo from the tin using the baking paper overhangs.
Place onto a wooden board. Top with frozen Gelati balls, fresh raspberries, crushed pistachios, and toasted salted organic coconut flakes.
Serve with extra Gelista Coconut with Raspberry Swirl Vegan Gelati.