The creamy and custard-like semi-freddo is served with Coconut with Raspberry swirl Gelati balls, fresh raspberries, crushed pistachios and toasted organic coconut flakes seasoned with sea salt.
Recipe Credit to Giovanne Cirillo @my_food_is_my_passion
Serves: 6 – 8
Preparation: 6 and a half hours
Cooking: 5 mins
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cup of thickened cream, whipped
- 1/3 cup of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract
- 2/3 cup of toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 250g frozen raspberries
- 90g of fresh raspberries to garnish
- 2 tablespoons of crushed pistachios
- 1 heaped tablespoon of toasted salted organic coconut flakes. Extra to serve if desired
- 8 small round scoops of Gelista Coconut with Raspberry Swirl Vegan Gelati
- Grease a 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm loaf tin. Line tin with baking paper, allowing at least 5cm overhang on all sides of tin.
- Toast pistachios in a dry pan over low heat until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Place frozen raspberries in a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- Place eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heat proof bowl. Stand bowl over a saucepan with simmering water over low heat. Please ensure you do not allow the simmering water to touch bowl.
- Whisk for 5 minutes until the egg mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour cream into a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Remove the egg mixture from saucepan and continue to whisk for a further 5 mins to allow mixture to cool.
- While you are whisking egg mixture to allow it to cool, whisk cream in the bowl of an electric mixer until it has thickened.
- Roughly chop the toasted pistachios.
- Gently fold in thickened cream, chopped pistachios and frozen raspberries into the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin, flatten the mixture on top, place a sheet of baking paper on top and wrap the semi-freddo with cling wrap. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
To serve, scoop 8 small balls of Gelati and place back into the freezer. Remove semi-freddo from freezer and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Once it has slightly softened, remove the semi-freddo from the tin using the baking paper overhangs.
Place onto a wooden board. Top with frozen Gelati balls, fresh raspberries, crushed pistachios, and toasted salted organic coconut flakes.
Serve with extra Gelista Coconut with Raspberry Swirl Vegan Gelati.