Bombe Alaskas are an impressive way to present gelati. The sweet meringue goes particularly well with a sour flavour of gelati such as Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate. The vanilla sponge pulls all the components together to create a delicious dessert that is second to none.
Preparation: 40 minutes
- ¾ of a cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- 60 grams of egg whites
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 1 sheet of vanilla sponge cake approx 10cm x 10cm
- 1 jar of Gelista gelati of your choice
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed. Heat the sugar and water over medium heat.
- Heat the sugar syrup to 116 degrees celsius or if you don’t have a candy thermometer, when the sugar dissolves and the mixture is boiling. At this point the egg whites should have soft peaks. OPtional: add food colouirng to the sugar syrup for coloured meringue.
- Gently pour the sugar syrup into the mixture whilst the electric mixer is still beating.
- Increase the speed of the electric mixer and leave to beat for about 10 minutes or until the bowl is cooled.
- Slice the end of the piping bag and slide in the nozzle. Gently spoon the Italian meringue into the piping bag, twist the end and fasten it with a clip.
- Cut a circle, 6cm in diameter from the vanilla sponge cake and place it on a heat proof plate.
- Place a scoop of your choice of gelati onto the vanilla sponge circle.
- Gently pipe the meringue onto the gelati sphere around the out sides ensuring you cover all the exposed areas of gelati.
- Using a blowtorch gently burn the edges of the meringue until they are golden brown.
- Optional: Top with pieces of fruit or edible flowers.