Bombe Alaska’s are such a theatrical dessert. Combining our tangy Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate not only provides a visually spectacular element to the dessert but also cuts through the soft and fluffy casing of meringue.
Preparation: 50 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Recipe provided by Duy Huynh.
- 180gms of sugar
- 100ml of water
- 3 Large Eggs
- Handful of mint leaves removed from the stem
- 3 Scoops of Gelista Blood Orange & Dark Chocolate gelati
- 3 Chocolate ripple cookies
- 15ml of vodka or brandy
- Lay flat a piece of plastic wrap and put three scoops of Gelista Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate gelati into the centre.
- Wrap the Gelati with the plastic wrap to form a ball shape and place into the freezer.
- Add mint leaves and water together in a blender.
- Add blended mix and sugar into saucepan, bring to boil then put on medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Separate egg whites and use electric beater to beat the eggs until soft peaks begin to form.
- With the egg beater still going slowly pour the mint and sugar syrup.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Continue beating mixture until it becomes a thick, glossy & firm meringue.
- Roughly hand crush chocolate cookies and put them onto a plate to form a 1cm thick base for the Bombe Alaska. It should be chunky bits as opposed to a powder.
- Remove the gelati from freezer, unwrap and place onto the cookie base. Flatten the gelati slightly onto the cookie base.
- Fill piping bag with the meringue and pipe the entire dessert from the bottom to top ensuring complete coverage.
- Place the whole dessert in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow plate to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mildly heat vodka or brandy in a jug. Ignite with a match and pour over the Bombe Alaska.