This incredible dessert is made complete with the addition of a scoop of creamy Vanilla Bean Gelati. Why not give this heavenly recipe a go today, your taste buds will thank you later!
Serves: 6 ramekins
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Cool: 15 minutes
Refrigerate: 3 hours
- 3 cups of pouring or thin cream
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ of a cup of castor sugar plus extra for topping
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius and place six 160 ml ramekins in a heatproof dish.
- Slice the vanilla pd lengthwise and gently scrape the seeds from the inside. Combine the seeds and the cream in a saucepan and bring nearly to the boil before removing from the heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and the sugar until thoroughly combined. Whisk through the hot cream until just combined. Do not allow the mixture to become frothy.
- Strain the mixture and divide evenly among the ramekins.
- Fill the ovenproof dish with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they are set and middle of each custard wobbles slightly when the ramekins are shaken.
- Remove from the ovenproof dish and leave the custards to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator and leave to chill for 3 hours.
- Sprinkle an even coating of sugar over each custard and gently heat with a blow torch until the sugar turns a golden colour. Or if you don’t have a blow torch heat 2 tablespoons of sugar in a pan with 1 tablespoon of water. Stir until the sugar dissolves, cook for 3-5 minutes or until the syrup turns golden. Remove from the heat and allow the bubbles to subside before pouring over the chilled custards.
- Leave the sugar to cool and set before adding a scoop of Gelista Vanilla Bean gelati.