This luscious and rich Dark Chocolate Tart perfectly compliments the tang of our Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate Sherbet. The addition of toasted hazelnuts and crushed pistachios gives it an indulgent crunch.
Recipe Credit to Giovanne Cirillo (my_food_is_my_passion)
Preparation: 1 hr
Refrigerate: 1hr and 40 mins
Cooking: 25 mins
Slow Oven Dried Pink Grapefruit:
Note: Please oven dry pink grapefruit the day before you make the chocolate tart.
2 medium size pink grapefruit, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 110 degrees.
- Cut pink grapefruit into thin slices. Place slices onto absorbent paper to allow for the paper to extract the extra juice from the fruit.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place slices onto baking paper from the absorbent paper and sprinkle caster sugar onto the fruit.
- Place in oven and allow to slow oven dry for 2.5 to 3 hours, turning them every hour.
- Do not let the fruit burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to air dry over night. If you want to twirl some of the slices, twirl and let them stand upright to air dry over night along with the flat dried slices.
Chocolate Ganache Tart.
1/4 cup of cocoa
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
125g cold unsalted butter, chopped
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon iced water
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
1 3/4 cups of thickened cream
600g of dark chocolate, grated
Slow Oven Dried Pink Grapefruit
40g toasted chopped hazelnuts
30g crushed pistachios
40g dark chocolate shavings
To make the pastry;
- Place cocoa, butter, flour, and icing sugar in a food processor. Process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the food processor is running, add egg yolks and water and process until a dough just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured bench surface and gently bring the dough together until smooth.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to around 3-4 mm thick. Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 26cm round loose bottomed fluted tin. Take pastry out of refrigerator and place into the greased tin. Trim edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 40 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
To make the filling;
- Place cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot but not boiling.
- Place grated chocolate into a large bowl and pour in the hot cream. Stir once to remove any chocolate from the bottom of the bowl. Allow to stand for 3-4 mins. Stir the ganache gently until just combined.
- Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking weights. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and bake for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool in tin.
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the tart case and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and garnish with slow oven dried pink grapefruit, toasted chopped hazelnuts, crushed pistachios and dark chocolate shavings. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting with hot knife.
- Serve with the delicious Gelista Gelati Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate Sherbet.